Monday, June 17, 2013

"Piriformawhat?"

Tuesday, June 11, 2013
The pain in my buttocks continued unabated and made sleeping difficult.  I got up in the morning knowing that it was time to communicate with Nilesh, my sports med doc.  I sent him an email describing the pain and what led to the onset.  He replied with concerns that I was suffering from piriformis syndrome.  I had no idea what this was, but it sounded ominous.  A little internet research of WebMD returned some useful information. 

“Piriformis syndrome is an uncommon neuromuscular disorder that is caused when the piriformis muscle compresses the sciatic nerve. The piriformis muscle is a flat, band-like muscle located in the buttocks near the top of the hip joint. This muscle is important in lower body movement because it stabilizes the hip joint and lifts and rotates the thigh away from the body. This enables us to walk, shift our weight from one foot to another, and maintain balance. It is also used in sports that involve lifting and rotating the thighs -- in short, in almost every motion of the hips and legs.”

The article went on to say that this pain is often brought on by prolonged sitting, as in driving a car.  It didn’t mention sitting in a kayak, but I’ve had the second worst pain when driving long distances, so I think Nilesh may be onto something.  His email told me he was going on vacation for two weeks and that I could see his associate, but I’ve opted to wait for his return.

Savannah and I did the Survival Workout despite my walking pain.  Since most of the workout focuses on core and upper body right now, the soreness, while bothersome, did not interfere.  When we returned home, I baked the salmon I’d purchased and made some rice with eggs mixed in.  I anxiously await Holly’s return for some better cooking.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment