Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Running and packing...

Thursday, June 20, 2013
I had a lot of packing and planning to do for our trip to the Adirondacks, but I still wanted to do something.  I drove to the park with running on my mind and suited up for that endeavor.  I went to my favorite trail with the intention of going for 20-25 minutes and then stopping at the track for some bleacher work. 

As I began the run, I started thinking about the hike I was planning for the next day on Jay Mt.  Jay is a beautiful peak in the Adirondacks with open ridges for at least half of the 3-mile trek to the summit.  Relatively speaking, it is an easy climb though it does have 2,000 feet of elevation change from trailhead to peak.  My conditioning is more than adequate, so I wondered aloud why I would risk some kind of injury by running too much and adding in bleachers the day before the trip.  That would be foolish and I’m never foolish.

I ran easily for 30 minutes…a little longer than originally planned, but it felt so easy and pain-free.  I decided the bleachers were not a good idea and went home to begin the packing process.  Kyle would be driving from Columbus to join Savannah, Jack and me for the trip, but wouldn’t be leaving until he completed his second shift job.  I packed the camping gear and food we’d need for one day and one night in the woods and went to bed around 8 hoping to sleep at least 5 hours before his arrival and a 9-hour drive.  I tend to fall asleep pretty easily and figured coffee and chewing gum would keep me awake on the drive if I wasn’t rested enough.  Solid plan.

Run duration:  30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 bpm.
Calories burned:  525.

No comments:

Post a Comment