Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Best Survival Workout ever...

Monday, February 11, 2013
I arrived at the park chilled to the bone.  I’d been working all day in an office heated to maybe 50 degrees.  I changed quickly so I could get into the workout and generate some body heat.  I started with the inverted push-ups, but managed only 85.  Since hitting 101, I haven’t even come close again.  That’s okay, because it’s inspired me to push beyond…to 125…before I give it up.  I did some pull-ups, dips, and crunches before sprinting across the rugby field and into the woods beyond. 

I continued to add things as I went along, reaching the cabins at a jog and with heaving sides.  As I was laying on my back doing some more core exercises, I noticed a very large, young red-tail hawk swoop in and alight on a pine tree nearby.  He watched me for a moment before continuing his scan of the ground below for any movement.  Mice and chipmunks beware.  I went and grabbed a rock for some overhead presses, followed by another set of dips and push-ups before leaving the area.  I needed to pass directly under the tree he’d chosen as a perch and was surprised that he didn’t fly off as I approached.  I’d never been so close to one before and he was huge.  If only I’d had the camera, but I’ve certainly got a strong mental image.  As I walked past, he swiveled his head to watch me, but never left.  I just love my workout surroundings.

I finished the workout with a record 25 sets in less than 60 minutes.  I was trembling from my eyebrows to my toes…and it felt great.

I arrived back home with enough daylight to clean dog poops, covered in snow for two weeks, from the yard.  Holly warmed up leftover dumplings, but I passed and ate only the chicken with a smoothie.  ‘A’ for effort on this day.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment