Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The crazed snow shoveler...

Monday, February 4, 2013
I stopped by Mimi’s place to re-attach her garage door opener, which she’d disengaged when her power had gone out.  She’s short and doesn’t climb ladders really well and I’m taller and don’t have trouble with them, so I pulled out the ladder and 10 second later, it was fully functional again.  She also has a snow plowing service, which does what all snow plowing services do…I think…which is that they leave some snow immediately in front of the garage door for the car to roll over, pack down, and turn into about 4 inches of ice.  This makes me crazy…I try to keep my driveway shoveled to the pavement all winter…so I asked her where her snow shovel was.

“Well...I use that one over there,” she said, indicating the large, plastic shovel I use when moving mulch in the summer.

“That will NOT do,” I said and started for the tool shed with the large, plastic shovel in hand. 

I began to dig through the other thing the snow plower does, which is to pile up five feet of snow on the edge of the driveway and blocking my path to the tool shed where I was sure to find a steel shovel.  I spent the next ten minutes cutting a swath through that snow bank…it would have been a great bank to build a snow cave though I doubted Mimi would have gotten much use from it…to the shed beyond.  Once in the shed, I retrieved the steel shovel I needed and then cleared the ice from the front of the garage door.  When I was finished, I stood back and admired my efforts at reaching the pavement.  It would remain that way at least until the snow plow returned.

I went home with the intention of riding the trainer, but Holly was there and since we hadn’t seen each other in 10 days, spent the next couple of hours catching up and eating dinner.  I ended up missing a workout, but re-connecting with my wife, which is a good use of workout time.  And I did break a little sweat clearing the driveway at Mimi’s and returning her Christmas decorations to the basement so…I had that going for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment