Monday, February 4, 2013

Paleo Man

Saturday, February 2, 2013
I met with my nutritionist, Bob Iafelice, for breakfast at Kleifeld’s.  We get together regularly to discuss health and fitness and things we’re planning to do together.  He was excited to share his ideas on doing a ‘Paleo Diet’ presentation.  He’s been doing a lot of research on it since I first began following it and is ready to work with me in presenting.

“The diet ties in perfectly with your Survival Workout.  We’ll become the ‘Primal’ guys…or something,” he said excitedly.

He’s right…it does fit perfectly with my workout since both look to recreate what the Paleolithic Man’s diet and conditioning regimen were like.  That’s not to say the Paleo man worked out, far from it.  What he did do though, was live a very active life style that honed his muscles, power, balance, speed and agility to keep him in food…or from being food.  Those that survived infant mortality lived long, fit lives and died of accidents or the lack of medicine when it was needed instead of high blood pressure, diabetes or obesity.  They were extremely functional throughout their older years (read ‘Younger Next Year’) since it was that or die, and since they always used it, they never lost it.

I invited him to join me Tuesday night at The Achilles Running Shop where we’d be doing some fitness testing on the staff and selling them on the concept of a seminar in becoming ‘Paleo People’.

John and I tried driving to Youngstown where I intended to pick up the biking trail for ‘Tour Ohio’ that I’d begun two weeks earlier.  We were hoping the snow that was falling at home would dissipate, but as we headed southeast on the Ohio Turnpike, it only got worse.  We finally abandoned our quest and returned home.  I tried to convince him to join me in the park for a hike through the deep snow, but he wimped out.  Dakota and I didn’t and 70 minutes of hiking through 12 inches of unbroken snow had us both panting.  Once again I was thinking I’d ride when I got home and once again, I took the easy way out, opting for food and TV over more exercise.  I had shoveled the drive two more times though, so with the hike, I’d done quite a bit.

Hike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  350.

No comments:

Post a Comment