Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Enjoying children enjoying the woods...

Monday, February 25, 2013
It was really a beautiful day for exercising in February.  The sun was shining and the temperature was hovering near forty.  So why did I not want to ride my bike? 

I was struggling with my conscience.  I knew I should ride outside since there would be limited opportunities for the next several weeks.  Still, I hesitated and then decided against it, instead driving to the park where I’d convinced myself I’d take a short run to see how the groin injury was feeling and then go home to get Dakota so we could return for a hike.

I suited up for the run and went about 20 paces before deciding the pain was bad enough that it wasn’t worth pushing.  It was improving however, so maybe in a few more days.  I drove home and grabbed Dakota and quickly returned for a long, muddy hike.  My legs just aren’t feeling fresh lately and I guess I was looking for an opportunity to get in an activity without pushing that fatigued feeling.  We hiked around the marsh and up into the woods beyond.  I searched the deer herd paths and the areas they bed down, but was unsuccessful in my quest for more antlers.  In fact, I didn’t even see a deer.  I did see plenty of evidence of their passage though, so I suppose they’ve returned to their old haunts now that the culling is behind for another year.

I was surprised to see a young family traipsing around the marsh on essentially the same path I was taking.  There was an adult couple with two young children between the ages of, I’d guess, 5 and 7.  The kids were laughing and enjoying themselves the entire time as they hiked on muddy trails and with only the woods to stimulate them.  Though I’d never done this with my parents, it did remind me of my own childhood and the thrill of disappearing into the woods behind our house every night after school where we’d play until dark.  I know few children do this today what with parents’ concerns about their safety and I am thankful once more that I was allowed to experience the woods and develop the love for them that I keep to this day.

Hike duration:  70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  400.

No comments:

Post a Comment