Monday, February 25, 2013

Slipping and sliding through the Survival Workout

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Savannah and I returned to the park for a final Survival Workout before her return to Columbus.  I decided to bring the camera along so I could get some pictures of the new exercises I’ve added.  We were well bundled for temperatures in the high twenties, but at least the snow had melted and would make the trails easier to handle…or so I thought.

I took some pictures of her doing the squat-jump, which I find particularly exhausting, before heading down the trail.  We discovered that the thaw and refreeze had only made the trails more hazardous with a fine layer of ice covering every inch.  We decided against karaoke up the hill and replaced it with some extra picnic table hops and squat-jumps.  We also found that most of the rocks were firmly frozen to the ground, which no amount of jumping on or tugging at, would loosen.  Still, with a little creativity, we managed to get in a good workout.  In fact, just walking without falling has the core working overtime and my legs were as tired as they would have been if I’d been doing my sets of sprints by the time I returned to the car. 

The rest of the day was miscellaneous work around the house and spotty eating of some even spottier food.  We had salmon for dinner, though Holly had made a potato chip topping for it.  I put together another smoothie and got most of my calories from that.  There is too much ice cream in the house including a quart of Fluffer Nutter from East Coast Custard.  Holly had gotten it for Savannah…it’s her favorite…but she eats like a bird and someone had to keep checking on it and eating some to assure that it didn’t suffer from freezer burn.  I can be so thorough.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment