Saturday, February 23, 2013

Savannah's in good shape...


Friday, February 22, 2013
Savannah was on the road from Columbus and wanted to do the Survival Workout when she arrived home.  She’d texted to let me know that there was an ice storm in Columbus and that she’d gotten on the road around 2:30.  I started wondering if she’d make it back in time for a workout, so I put on my riding outfit and hit the trainer for a 70-minute ride.  If she made it back – great – I’d do a double.  If not, at least I’d done something.

She arrived around 5 p.m. and still wanted to work out so we loaded Dakota in the car and headed for the park.  She has been running on a treadmill in Columbus and has been playing racquetball a couple of times a week and looked lean and fit.  She managed 15 full push-ups to start the workout and did well throughout.  She was particularly strong in the lower body/cardio sets like the picnic table-hop.  I wasn’t surprised, having played a great deal of handball, racquetball, paddleball, and squash in my days with the Back Wall and the Cleveland Athletic Club.  When played with intensity, these court games are tremendous conditioners.  They all require stop and go sprinting for extended periods of time, which beats steady distance running every time.  By the time we’d finished the workout, she’d done almost 20 sets and didn’t seem any worse for the wear.

I dropped Savannah off and then drove to Akron to pick up Heidi and bring her home for the weekend, too.  Holly prepared a pasta/shrimp dish for dinner and when the ice cream was pulled from the freezer for dessert, I was asked to dish it up.  I served up the girls and tasted a few scoops as I dished, but resisted the urge to fill a bowl for myself.

Spring is just around the corner and I’m going to have to get serious about my diet and conditioning real soon.  I want to go into ‘Tour Ohio’ around 180 pounds and figure I’ll come out of it closer to 170, which is where I plan to stay.  Anyway, it needs to begin now.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.  Bike duration:  70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm for  SW and 120 bpm on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  600 for SW and 1000 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment