Thursday, February 14, 2013

Tuesday, February 12, 2013
It was ‘Fat Tuesday’ and Holly’s dad had invited us to his church for a pancake dinner at six.  I was running low on time and felt the need to do something before we left since I was unlikely to do it later.  I hopped on the trainer and managed a 30-minute, very sweaty ride before having to break it off for my shower.

I got in the line to get my pancakes and when I reached the server, he struggled to try and separate pancake two from pancake three before putting them on my plate.  He had about 30 more and there was only one person behind me.

“Look…don’t sweat it.  I assure you I can eat three pancakes,” I said.  He stopped struggling, smiled and gave me all three.  I ate those with a couple of sausages before returning for the same drill.  On my third visit, he simply gave me everything he had to keep me from returning.  Why not?  They’d made plenty and the old folks were eating like sparrows, which meant the cakes would be going to waste.  I only regret that I hadn’t thought to bring some real maple syrup.  If I had, I’d have taken the entire pan back and entertained the entire congregation.

I was noticing some soreness in my legs and core from the workout yesterday.  I haven’t had workout soreness since the last time I climbed in the Adirondacks and it felt great.  Muscle soreness from heavy exertion or from changing up the routine is good soreness and I welcome it.  It reaffirms that I pushed myself, though there was little room for doubt at the conclusion of yesterday’s workout.  No matter how good my conditioning before heading for the Adirondacks, I typically come down from a day on the peaks fatigued and sore in all the climbing muscles.  Nothing simulates it and it’s to be expected.  I’m sure that regardless of the training I perform leading up to ‘Tour Ohio’, I’m going to be sore for most of that adventure.  Good sore…but sore.

Bike duration:  30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  425.

No comments:

Post a Comment