Sunday, February 17, 2013

Slackers...time to recommit


Thursday, February 14, 2013
My friend Randy notified me that Valentine’s Day is kind of an official time to notify New Year’s Resolution slackers that they need to get back on the horse.  He makes a good point.  It’s been six weeks since the new year began and if someone was following a program of fitness and had made it this far, they’re probably over the hump.  On the other hand, those struggling may have fallen away for a couple of weeks or…like Randy and me…just have those days, which can turn into two, where we really don’t give a damn and do nothing.  One of his suggestions was to go out and do a run for a loved one.  I suppose that could work for him, but I have to focus on me when it comes to exercise and that means revisiting my goals.  Whenever I do that…and I know what they are since they’re quite specific…I have little trouble getting my ass in gear again.

More than anyone, I don’t want to let ME down.  I want ‘Tour Ohio’ to not only happen, I want it to become something special that motivates many people to get out and try something new.  I really can’t make that happen if I slack.  There is so much to do both in my personal training and in the planning so that it happens with an impact.  With that in mind, I’ve decided to take another road trip on Saturday to lay out the next section.

I watched what I thought was a really interesting movie last night.  Denzel Washington stars in the movie ‘Flight’ which tells the story of a hero pilot who saves the lives of almost all passengers on board when he crash lands his stricken plane in an empty field.  He is recognized as a hero for doing what it is felt no other pilot could have done, but what very few people know is that he was high on drugs and alcohol at the time.  The rest of the movie is Denzel wrestling with his demons as he struggles with his conscience and his dependency.  It is powerful for those of us who have had loved ones facing these struggles and I applaud Denzel for his incredible acting talent. 

I threw some new moves I’d checked out on ‘he ‘Real Age’ web feed I receive daily from the Cleveland Clinic and Dr. Oz.  He’d had trainers on his show from ‘The Biggest Loser’ and they were demonstrating some exercises, which I thought, looked interesting.  I didn’t like the suggestion that someone could get and stay in shape doing something for 9 minutes a day…sometimes I think it’s better to just be honest and say how long it will take.  I don’t believe in saying what people want to hear just so they’ll work out.  I think it does a disservice because in the end they’ll find out and then lose faith in the ones who directed them.
Anyway, I added a couple of exercises and pushed the workout to 26 sets.  I was played in the end and felt great.  I’d had to baby the sore groin somewhat, but managed to loosen it up and work around it as I went.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment