Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Preparing mentally for hours in the saddle...

Friday, February 15, 2013
As the result of a late work meeting, I didn’t arrive home until after dark, excluding my hopes of getting in a short run.  I haven’t run since hurting my calf over two weeks ago except for sprints during the Survival Workout and was anxious to give it a test.  Instead, I was forced to climb aboard the trainer where I pedaled for the next 70 minutes. 

Boring time on the trainer is good conditioning for ‘Tour Ohio’ when I’ll be riding every day between 75-100 miles and spending parts of 12 hours on a bike.  No matter what the beauty of the countryside through which you’re passing, any long distance cyclist will tell you they get bored at times.  I know it from experience so a little extra time on a trainer when I’m not going anywhere or seeing anything prepares me more than just physically.

As I rode, I decided that I’d use all day Saturday to map out the next segment of my ‘Tour Ohio’ course.  I’d tried the previous weekend and been halted by snow and I was beginning to feel like I was running out of time.  I don’t figure to be starting the ‘Tour’ until mid-August, but I need the course in place for all the planning required.  I’d left off along the border of Pennsylvania and Ohio down near East Liverpool and Wellsville, but I’d struggled with a way to get around that area on local roads.  I needed to google map the area before heading down there again to try and find an alternate route.  I finished up the ride, showered and returned to the computer and planned for the next couple of hours before satisfying myself that I’d discovered a good alternative.  I’d need to drive it though, to be absolutely sure.

Bike duration:  70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment