Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Practicing the maneuverability...

Sunday, February 10, 2013

I had a lot on my plate.  I was trying to finish painting Jack’s old bed room, leaving enough time for a long ride.  The temperatures were in the forties and though it was windy, would be a perfect winter riding day.  It was approaching 2 p.m. and I needed to get the ride in before dinner at 5:30.  Then Jack walked in.

“Could we practice the maneuverability like you said we could?” he asked.

He was looking to get his driver’s license soon and needed to practice the maneuverability portion.  He had to throw in that ‘like you said we could’ stuff as if I don’t honor my commitments even when I have a golden opportunity to ride my bike outside.

“You thought I was serious when I said that?”  C’mon Jack…I’ve been painting for hours and now I’ve got a chance to ride,” I whined.

“Okay…we can do it later,” he said with disappointment in his voice.

He left the room and I thought about what a schmuck I was being.  I went down to the garage and loaded five trash cans and buckets into the van and went back and grabbed him.

“Let’s do this thing.  Do you have the measurements for the placement of the cones that we’ll need?” I asked.

“Really?  You have time?”

“I said I’d do it and I almost sometimes do what I say,” I replied.

We were practicing with the minivan.  He figured if he could do it with the biggest vehicle, he could do it with any vehicle.  And he did pretty well.  On about 20 attempts, he only clipped the pails four times.  For a first time out, that was rather impressive.  It takes a few times through to figure out what approach you’re going to take…leaning on the mirrors, using the windows or a combination of the two.  I did it myself a couple of times to see if I could offer some advice that would help him.  I did…and I told him…but as so much advice that came my way from my parents when I was his age, he half-listened. 

“Can I take the test this week?” he asked as we drove home.

“I’m thinking you might want to come back a couple of more times and make sure you can nail it.  You’ve got until the end of March before your temps expire and you don’t want to have to take it twice,” I said.

Once back home, I quickly changed into my riding gear.  I had just enough time to get in a 2-hour ride though I was struggling with what to wear.  I decided to go with my riding gloves and no hat, but put back-ups in the pockets of my riding shirt.  I wore tights though I didn’t think I’d need them.

Riding with the new cassette took some getting used to.  I pretty much know what gear I’m going to ride on a familiar course from experience, but the new cassette changes all that.  I’d increased my available gears from 14 to 18 and they offered more range for better climbing.  Since there were more gears, there was less difference between them so I found myself in the wrong gear on a couple of occasions as I was climbing hills.  In combination with a strong wind, I found myself going slower than usual, but loving the smoothness of the rehabbed UB Express.

I’d thought I’d have plenty of daylight and I would have if it had been sunny, but with overcast skies, car lights were coming on during the last 30 minutes of my ride…an indicator that I’m out too long.  I rode into the park to climb up ‘road closed’, but found it covered in ice and snow at about the halfway point.  I was forced to reverse my course and take a different, longer route home and it was then that I realized my fingers and toes were getting too cold.  I pulled off the cycling gloves and threw on my isotoners for the final 20 minutes of the ride.

Holly was preparing chicken and dumplings for dinner, so I put together a smoothie to help me combat the urge to overeat those delicious, fatty calories.  It worked as I stuck to a single helping and skipped dessert.  As calorie burning/fitness days go, it was a good one.

Bike duration:  Two hours and 5 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1775.

No comments:

Post a Comment