Thursday, February 7, 2013

Culling the herd...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It’s that time of the year again.  I’d gone home to get Dakota and headed for the park for a Survival Workout only to find all entrances to the park closed for ‘wildlife management’, a.k.a. thinning the deer population.  As I’ve stated before, I completely support this program.  I know that deer have no natural predators in urban settings and there is no hunting.  The populations grow out of proportion to what the food supply can sustain, and I find carcasses of deer that have starved in the woods or dead on the side of the road do to a losing battle with a vehicle.  I know the park employs sharpshooters and that the meat goes to local food banks…win-win.  What I don’t like is that there’s never any notice about the closings.  These hunts are well organized and staffed to prevent people from walking into kill zones and this can only be done with extensive, advanced planning.  Why then don’t they just post information around the parks that says its coming and they’ll be closed?  It would seem like a simple solution and then I wouldn’t drive up each year and get pissed all over again.  I suppose if that…and not plowing my parking space are the worst things the park does, it’s not a bad deal.

I returned home with a disappointed dog and hopped on the trainer for over an hour.  After a shower, I drove the Honda out to Dan’s to leave it with him for some brake work.  Holly picked me up and we drove to a restaurant on Chardon Square where I ordered a burger…but after a mental struggle, substituted broccoli for fries.  I can do the right thing once in awhile.

Bike duration:  75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1020.

No comments:

Post a Comment