Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A call from 'Alaska Paul'


Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My phone began to vibrate and when I looked at the name, I saw it was ‘Alaska Paul’.  I knew what it would be about.

“Hey John…looks like our buddy really crashed and burned this time,” he said.

Like Lance, Paul is a cancer survivor and an avid cyclist.  Unlike most people though, Paul marches to a set of values that would never allow him to hurt another human being regardless of the discomfort or inconvenience it may cause him.  He is a simple man to whom fortune and recognition means nothing and friendship is everything.  He is a person worth emulating.

“I’m waiting to see what he has to say on Thursday, but I suspect it will make me pretty sad,” I said.

We talked for awhile about what may have motivated Lance to do what he did and then switched gears into what he’s been doing in his world travels since last we met.

“I nearly got myself killed this time,” he said and described a near fatal kayaking incident he suffered through while paddling in one of the inlets off Prince William Sound, Alaska.

“We were a little disoriented and surrounded by ice, but paddling through to what we thought would be an opening to the next inlet.  Suddenly, we’re totally enclosed by ice and it’s pushing us up against the sheer side of an iceberg.  My kayak was at a 45 degree angle and I was about to fall out.  We worked together though and managed to stay in the boats, but had to call in the Coast Guard for a chopper pick-up.  We were going to have to abandon the boats…but then the ice opened up a little and we were able to battle our way through to open water…just as the chopper appeared overhead,” he said.

“How long could you have lasted in the water?” I asked, knowing he’d have been wearing a dry suit for just such a calamity.

“Maybe 15 minutes.  I was sure my goose was cooked.  Next time I’m taking a GPS.  I’m tired of being nervous about my navigational skills,” he concluded.

He’s kayaked all over the world and been in many tight spots before, but said this was the worst.  Still, I want to make my way to Alaska soon and spend a month or two hiking in Denali National Park, kayaking the arctic waters and camping on the Alaskan tundra with Grizzlies…and Alaska Paul.

I made it home with enough daylight to ride if I hurried the tire change I needed to do on UB.  It was about 35 degrees as I mounted the bike.  I’d outfitted myself as best I could for a ride with strong winds and a chill factor that would make it seem like…oh…two.  And it worked out well.  I rode the final ten minutes in darkness and with toes that felt brittle, but it was worth every minute.  I couldn’t help but think about Lance as I rode.  I’ve watched so much footage of him riding and have memorized that face full of determination and effort as he pushed himself to concur all comers.  It inspired me again as I rode through the discomfort.  Tomorrow’s the day, Lance, and until I hear it from you, I’ll continue to hold your achievements in a special place in my head and my heart. 

Bike duration: 80 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1025.

No comments:

Post a Comment