Thursday, January 10, 2013

Adirondacks verse Upper Penisula...

Tuesday, January 8, 2013
I was pretty sure it was too soon to return to the Survival Workout, buy I seldom let good sense stand in the way of a workout decision.  I went to the park and began with my push-ups, which went well.  I then sat on the ice and began my abdominal work before proceeding to the dips…the cause of my current rib problem.  I’d completed about five when the pain began, albeit slight.  I stopped immediately because I’m smart that way and decided I’d head down the trail and try some other lifts and skip further dips.

The temperature was in the low forties and the melt had begun.  This was good and bad.  The trails were even more slippery now and there was little unpacked snow left…something a shoe could use to keep from slipping.  Ice skates would have been more appropriate but I don’t have any and after a quarter mile of slipping and nearly falling several times, I concluded it would be healthier to return to the car and save the workout for another day.  I drove home and hopped on the trainer for another boring 1-hour ride.

My nephew Nathan was in town and so I went to my sister’s to have dinner and chew the fat.  He works in the engine room on large freighters as they navigate the Great Lakes and is currently stationed in Duluth where it’s usually about 200 degrees below zero this time of year.  He’s becoming the complete outdoors man, having bought a good bike, camera and the beginnings of some camping gear.  We discussed the benefits and value of Michigan’s UP, where he's done some exploring, as it compares to the Adirondacks and, of course, the Adirondacks won out.  There are many wonderful camping, hiking, kayaking and biking opportunities in the UP and other ports of call that he visits in his travels, but nothing rivals the Adirondacks for diversity.  For me, there are the added values of ease of access, high peaks, family, and a limitless wilderness to explore.  He sees that and wants to join me next summer for a short excursion. 

Next summer is shaping up to be a busy one and my conditioning will need to be at a high level heading in.  So much of what I hope to achieve will require endurance and repetition.  Endurance is no issue.  I’ll have it going in and will get stronger as the treks move to their conclusion.  Repetition, on the other hand, can be problematic.  I’m talking about repetitive motions, such as pedaling a bike for eight hours a day, and the accompanying maladies that can develop.  There is little that can be done to prepare for this and to a certain degree, luck is involved.  I may find myself four days into Tour Ohio and dealing with some issue that I’ll just have to ride through.  I’ve got plenty of kayaking, hiking and jogging scheduled too so we’ll just have to see how the old body holds up. 

Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment