Friday, January 4, 2013

The 'Moving' workout...


Saturday, December 29, 2012
I was laying in bed thinking about what I’d be doing for the day…including what workout…when the phone rang.  It was Jason and he needed a favor.

“Theresa never told me she needed to be out by noon so I could use some help getting her moved,” he said.

Theresa was his girlfriend and she was moving from Akron to Willoughby where she would be living with my father-in-law in the upstairs half of his almost completely empty condo.  She’d taken a new job with the agency I work for and was finding it difficult to find affordable housing in the areas she wanted to live. Holly’s dad was living alone after her mom had been moved to a nursing home.  He’s 92 and having a companion in his home seemed like an excellent idea for a variety of reasons and he was happy to rent her the space.

“Sure.  Let me get some breakfast and I’ll meet you down there in an hour,” I said.

I spent the next six hours packing up and moving her belongings into and out of a U-haul truck.  It was an easy move from her place to the truck…only about five steps, but a full flight of stairs for all her possessions at the other end.  And of course there was indecision as to what would be the best location for some of the heaviest items…which meant we moved them around to several different locations for the decision process.

We finished around five and Holly decided that we should take all the kids out to dinner since the girls would be leaving the next day.  I liked the idea, but it would leave no time for a workout so I guess I should thank Theresa for letting me move her heavy stuff several times…much like I move the same rock or log several times during a Survival Workout.

Moving Workout: 6 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 80-100 bpm.
Calories burned:  1500.

No comments:

Post a Comment