Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Finally...101!

Sunday, January 20, 2013
Spring ended Sunday and so I returned to winter exercise pursuits.  It had been several days since I’d done the last Survival Workout and nearly reached the 100 mark for push-ups, but I’d put aside any attempt to break it to ride outside while the weather permitted.  It was in the 20’s now, so that wasn’t happening.

I began my push-ups with my feet anchored to the top fence rail next to my parked car.  I reached 50 thinking it was a good day and the 90’s were in sight.  At 90, my mind went to breaking 100, but I was slowing noticeably by 95.  When I completed 99, I wondered if, like during the previous workout, I’d not be able to lock it out.  On shaking arms, I let myself down and then pushed.  Wavering, I reached 100 and dropped again.  I managed 101, but didn’t even attempt another because I knew how that would end.  I unhooked my feet, stood, and let out a Rebel yell to let anyone in the park know that I’d just achieved my goal.  It was cold, early and miserable and I was alone.   Dakota took notice though, and brought me a stick to throw for her as a celebration.

With my calf still hurting from the run on Friday, I did nothing but upper body work for the remainder of the workout.  I managed 17 stations; a good number for upper body, and returned to the car exhausted, pumped, and pleased with myself.  I haven’t decided what I’ll do next.  I suppose I’ll keep doing the raised legs push-ups until maybe 125, though that could be another year.  I need something for the chest though, and it’s a nice challenge.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment