Monday, January 28, 2013

Just drink smoothies!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013
The front page of the Plain Dealer featured another story on childhood obesity.  This one spoke to the importance of changing dietary habits of children because of the importance of nipping their oncoming obesity in the bud.  It suggested that one of the easiest changes to make was the elimination of sugary drinks like pop and all the fruit juices that are a far cry from healthy.  There’s an easier way though, and it’s called ‘John Rolf’s smoothie’.

I only wish my parents would have made me the smoothies I’m making myself when I was a kid.  It would have accomplished the task of getting me all the fruit and vegetables I needed…and handled my sweet tooth at the same time.  I made one again last night for dinner and it included the following:

Five small carrots
Frozen spinach – enough for a small salad
Five large frozen strawberries
One cup frozen mixed fruit
One cup Activia yogurt or Kefir
One banana
1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
One Clementine orange
Apple cider enough to fill the blender

I pack the blender with these ingredients and it makes about 40 ounces.  I’ll drink that over the remainder of the evening and will feel no need to eat a dinner or to have something sweet.  I can’t really taste the vegetables because the sweetness of the cider and the fruit overpowers it…but I’m getting them anyway.  I know this drink has been a key to my weight loss and the carbs in replenishes in my system allows me to do the extended aerobic exercises I perform without bonking.  They should be making this in the school cafeterias too.  Obesity wouldn’t stand a chance.

I rode for 75 minutes on the trainer instead of taking a trip to the park for the Survival Workout.  Snow shoveling will have to substitute as long as there’s a foot of snow on the trails because I won’t be able to find my rocks and logs.  I’m going to give that another day and then go anyways and dig for the suckers.  I don’t want to get soft.

Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment