Thursday, January 3, 2013

A little soreness is better than the sidelines...


Thursday, December 27, 2012
Snow continued to fall, which meant opportunities for extra calorie-burning work.  I spent about 30 minutes moving another three inches and then went inside, still sweating, to spend an hour on the trainer.  The muscles of my lower back were sore from the bending and lifting required to move the snow from the bottom of the driveway and there is little I can do to prevent it.  Tasks like snow shoveling cannot be easily incorporated into a workout routine...though I have considered bringing my shovel to the park and cleaning a path for the Survival Workout in the winter.  Short of that, I will continue to get a sore back while shoveling with the knowledge that shortly after I stop, it goes away.  I do know that my workout regimen makes it possible in the first place.  If I wasn’t in shape and tried to attack it the way I do, I’d likely be taking a trip to the emergency room.  As in play, I want to be able to do most physical things for as long as I can and staying in shape forever is, and will continue to be, my goal.

Bike duration: 60 minutes.  Shoveling: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm biking and 100-120 shoveling.
Calories burned during workout: 850 biking and 300 shoveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment