Thursday, January 3, 2013

Winter kayaking has its challenges...


Friday, December 28, 2012

I went out to clean the light snow that had fallen on the driveway overnight and in so doing, had to duck under the kayaks still strapped to the roof of the Jeep parked in the driveway.  As I shoveled and ducked, I began to think about kayaking.  The more I thought, the better in sounded in my head and by the time I was done shoveling, had convinced myself it was a good idea.

I’d never been on the river in the heart of the winter...and this was the heart.  I imagined the fallen trees covered in the 18+ inches of snow we’d received and determined that there were amazing photo opportunities to be seen and taken.  I went over all the things I’d likely need to stay warm for an hour on the river, gathered that gear and jumped in the Jeep.  As I drove towards Russell Park, my put-in point for the Upper Cuyahoga, I had to pass over Ladue Reservoir.  As I did, I noticed an interesting phenomenon...ice.

I don’t know why I was surprised or why I hadn’t thought of it earlier, but ice is not uncommon after days of temperatures below freezing.  I pulled my head from my ass and began to wonder if I’d find the river frozen over.  I thought that there was a good chance it wasn’t since the river moves and takes much longer to freeze, but it moves slowly where I was putting in.

I arrived to find it wasn’t frozen, but as I began to unload the kayak, found that it was frozen...to the straps, the rack and the roof.  Eventually I removed the snow and ice and had it on the ground and ready to go, though I was really beginning to wonder about the intelligence of this endeavor.  I’d already discovered things I hadn’t thought about, which had me contemplating the first step of ‘Leave No Trace’ camping and backpacking...‘plan and prepare’.  I hadn’t done it well and it is the cornerstone of safety.  Well...I was here and ready to paddle and knew I was going.  The water was cold of course, but not deep, so I figured I could walk out of almost any situation.

Normally I get the kayak out into deeper water by using my hands to push against the river bottom.  I didn’t want to have frozen hands from the start, so used my paddle to push off.  I immediately began bumping up against chunks of ice that had broken free from the rivers edges...the first point of freezing...and was surprised at the ‘clunk’ it created against the hull.  I took some quick pictures because I was uncertain how far or how long I’d be able to stay in the water safely and warmly.  I’d gone about a mile down river when I noticed waterfowl...ducks and geese...floating on the water. 

I knew something was peculiar about these birds from a distance and wasn’t surprised when I drew closer and they didn’t fly away.  They were decoys and that could only mean one of two things.  Either they’d come to life like ‘Toy Story’ characters and escaped their humans...or there were people with guns nearby waiting in the cold for an opportunity to warm up by shooting at something...preferably ducks.  They were well camouflaged, I had to give them that, because I didn’t see them until they spoke.

“Would you mind kayaking up that little flow coming in here and spooking up some ducks for us to shoot?” one of the hunters asked.

I’m normally cooperative with people holding shotguns, but knew the flow they were talking about petered out after a few hundred yards.

“Not much water up there...but I might spook ones down river, so get ready,” I said as I paddled past.

They didn’t shoot me for my lack of cooperation and a couple of hundred yards down river, I did spook up a duck, which made the mistake of heading back the way I’d come instead of flying ahead of me.  I heard three reports from shotguns and figured they were bad shots, or anxious to pop of a couple of extra rounds...but I’d done my part.

I came across two more hunters and again thought about my lack of planning.  I had never considered hunting season and if I would, could have worn some hunter’s orange for my own protection.  Fortunately, the hunters I encountered were well-prepared and things went smoothly.  I’m sure they were quite surprised to see someone kayaking for recreation in such unkind conditions, but I was completely enjoying the serenity that existed between encounters with hunters.  I spent an hour on the river before pulling back out.  My hands were beginning to get cold, but I had at least dressed appropriately.  I now had to wonder about taking trips at this time of year because of the icing.  There would be no way to know what the condition of the river would be until I got there, but even if I made the drive to Russell Park and found it frozen, I’d at least be able to hike in the park and so it would never be a wasted trip.

Kayak Duration: 65 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 90-110 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 650.

No comments:

Post a Comment