Thursday, January 24, 2013

Frigid temperatures and plenty of snow to shovel...

Tuesday, January 22, 2013
We had another blast of winter and this time it came with arctic temperatures.  I’d pushed a couple of inches the night before, but woke to school closings and a fresh 12 inches, with 24 plowed into the bottom of the drive.  It was fluffy and light because of temperatures in the single digits, but I knew it would prove to be a good, long workout and that made me happy. 

I finished my own in about an hour and saw my neighbor struggling to get his snow blower started.  He failed and was shoveling by hand, so I went over to help him out, spending another 30 minutes digging out the bottom of his drive.  By the time I returned home, I’d broken a decent sweat and was ready for a second shower.

I would have liked to hike in the park with Dakota, but the temperatures were so low that she was having issues with ice building between her toes.  I decided instead to spend time on the trainer and managed another 60 minutes while watching the second last episode of ‘Friday Night Lights’.  The series has helped me through the last year of indoor training and although it is a silly, drama-filled evening soap, I feel like I’ve gotten to know some of those characters and will miss them.  I’ve got one episode to go and will have to find some other series to distract me while I ride.  Thank God for Netflix.

Shoveling duration:  90 minutes.  Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-120 bpm for shoveling and 120 bpm on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  900 for shoveling and 850 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment