Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A running/football double...

Sunday, June 6, 2013
Holly was going to stay with Heidi for the evening, which meant I’d have the night free to work out and if I could manage a run in the morning, would have the perfect chance for another double.  I went to the park to try out my running legs.  It had been some time since my last run and with the trails covered in a packed, icy snow, footing would be treacherous.  I thought I’d knock off only 30-35 minutes and I knew I could put up with any conditions for that amount of time.

To say I haven’t been doing any running would be a miss-statement.  I’ve been incorporating sprints into the Survival Workout for the past several weeks, so when I started jogging my safe, slow pace over the icy trails, my legs and hips didn’t recognize the gait.  Whenever you do something unusual in your routine, your muscles…regardless of conditioning…react poorly.  Normally, this would mean next-day soreness and that’s no big deal, but I was starting to feel sore DURING the run and didn’t like it.  When I arrived back at the car, it occurred to me that I didn’t want my body to remember running slow as its last act, so I decided a set of sprints were in order.  I performed five, but felt so much better after the fifth.  This shouldn’t surprise me since it is the advice I offer to all runners I coach that are attempting to run fast…your body has memory…make it remember speed.  It was working for me.

I went home and finished work on the cabinet I was building for Heidi so Holly could deliver it.  She pulled out a little after four, which coincided nicely with the beginning of the NFL playoff games.  I’d arranged to watch with my neighbor, Pat, on his humongous 54”, HD TV, so I made a smoothie to help me avoid his junk food and went over.  I didn’t return home until after nine and was not in the mood for the trainer, so my dreams of a two-workout day became a great run/watch football double.  Sometimes I can really mix up my priorities.

Run duration:  40 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 bpm.
Calories burned:  700.

No comments:

Post a Comment