Wednesday, January 9, 2013

BCS Football Championship...boring.

Monday, January 7, 2013
I spent the day probing my rib injury and wondering whether I should attempt the Survival Workout.  I tend to dig pretty deeply when probing and may have bruised myself checking for the injury.  In any event, it hurt all day and I decided it would be foolish to do the workout…which almost caused me to do it.  Instead, I went home and visited with my neighbor assuring him I would return after dinner to watch the BCS college football championship game between Notre Dame and Alabama.  I wasn’t expecting much of a game and when I arrived 20 minutes after it had started, was not completely surprised to find Alabama already up 21-0.  The pattern continued in this mismatch with the Alabama winning 42-14.  Though I’m not  a big college football fan, I am intrigued by the discussion over the years in the determination of the National Champion.  Unlike the other major professional and college sports which determine a winner by some kind of playoff system, college football has resisted this forever.  Bowl games have always been a large part of the landscape and are likely the reason the NCAA has never been able to agree on a playoff system.  Instead, fans bitch about the system in place and its flaws and offer solutions that would clearly be better than what’s in place.  I know there will be a four team playoff in the next couple of years, but that will only be a slightly smaller disaster.  As in other college sports and even in football in the other divisions…they need a decent playoff system.  It really isn’t rocket science, so why can’t they fix it?  I suppose it really doesn’t matter all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment