Monday, January 7, 2013

Pitching fitness...

Friday, January 4, 2013

I made my way to the Achilles Running Shop in Mentor and discussed my plans for fitness testing and exercise programming with the staff.  As a group, it’s hard to find a more dedicated bunch of fitness people than employees in a running shoe store…and these are no exception.  They were excited about taking the test themselves and having an essential resource to help the many customers who arrive to make a purchase, but don’t really have a solid foundation in beginning an exercise program.  They know they can’t work with the clients to resolve this issue, so they love being able to hand off a flier knowing that if the person calls me, they’ll be in good hands.  We also discussed how they’d like to sponsor a track workout night, which I told them I would be happy to lead.  Runners looking to improve their times need speed work like a baseball player needs batting practice and a hitting coach to improve their swing.  It just doesn’t happen accidentally and there is a specific process that is known to garner results.  Having someone there to kick you in the ass when you don’t feel like working as hard as you could or should isn’t a bad idea either.

I went from there to Tartan Sails to discuss further my ideas for their involvement in ‘Tour Ohio’.  I’ve known the owner and his wife, the Malbasa’s, since my old days at the Cleveland Athletic Club.  They are huge supporters of the recreational industry, particularly on the water, and helping those less fortunate than themselves.  We speak the same language and I know I’ll pester them into some level of support…even if it is participation.  I can be persuasive, after all.

I put in another hour on the trainer while looking out the window at the piles of unmelting snow.  The forecast is that it will melt someday…but that’s not soon enough.  I just need some dry roads and temps in the high 30’s so I can get out there and out of my office.  It feels good to whine, regardless of the appropriateness.

Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment