Thursday, April 25, 2013

A long, painful ride...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013
I left work a little early so I’d have time to work on things for the funeral service.  I also wanted to get in a ride since I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be doing much the next day…except eating.

It was a perfect riding day; sunny and in the sixties.  I decided I’d try to do something approaching my birthday ride, which would mean 58 miles.  I haven’t ridden consistently in weeks, so this really wasn’t a good idea, but when have I ever let that stop me?  I filled both my water bottles to the brim and set off.

After an hour of hard riding, I found myself climbing a long, steep hill towards All Souls Cemetery on Chardon Road.  It’s a good stopping point to refill water bottles on a hot day, and this was qualifying.  I was concerned about muscle spasms in my quads; something I seem to experience on long rides when I’m out of shape and it’s hot…both conditions were present.

I could feel twinges in my quads around the forty-mile mark and began backing off my speed.  While climbing a hill shortly after, both quads went into painful spasms.  I sat down, shifted into my easiest gear and rode with the knowledge that the last 10 miles would be painful, at best.  Though I proceeded slowly, I finally finished the ride.  It was not pretty, but I’d spent close to four hours in the saddle and burned many of the crappy calories I’d consumed over the past several days. 

I ate a lasagna-like dinner and retired to my office where I worked for the next several hours trying to make the eulogy I would give for my mother-in-law something that would have made her happy.  Though I cherish the honor of speaking on a loved one’s behalf at their funeral service, it is quite nerve-wracking because I really want it to be something special.  I think this one will be, but if it’s not, everyone will know that my intentions were honorable.

Bike duration:  Three hours and 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  3150.

No comments:

Post a Comment