Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Advil and a good Survival Workout...

Tuesday, April 9, 2013
My sore neck had been growing progressively worse throughout the work day and as I left the lot, I had a decision to make…home and Advil with a heating pad or the park and a workout.  I’d missed three days in a row, and the guilt associated with that won out as I drove past the exit for home and headed to the park.  I was initially planning to do a Survival Workout to be followed by an hour or so on the bike, but as I suited up for the workout I knew it would be Survival only.

It was the warmest day of the year…near 70…so I pulled on shorts and a muscle t-shirt for the workout.  I also grabbed a bottle of water to carry with me.  I surprised myself by doing 95 push-ups – my highest number since cracking 100 – for my first set.  Dakota, who is completely back to normal, and I headed down the trail where I would perform 20 sets of upper body exercises over the course of the workout.  When I reached the swing set, I even climbed once deciding that I no longer care that my elbow hurts.  Its hurt non-stop for almost a year and not doing things isn’t making it any better, so what the hell?

When I did get home, I popped three Advil and grabbed the heating pad.  The adult dosage is two, but I’ve never acted like an adult and I saw no reason to start when my neck was hurting so badly.  I sat on the sofa, tuned in ‘The Office’ while laying on the heating pad, and let the Advil do its thing.  By the time Holly got home, I was feeling better.  She baked salmon for dinner and since I’d had a large spinach/vegetable salad for lunch, was a very good Paleo day.  I’m not too sure where the neck thing is going though I seem to go through this about once every six months, so, no worries.  Tomorrow, unless it’s considerably worse, I hope to be back out on the bike.  Spring rains must be coming and I’d like to get in some riding before they hit.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment