Monday, April 8, 2013

Long day working and dinner and a movie with a great friend...

Saturday, April 6, 2013

I arrived at Mimi’s at 8:30 a.m. for my morning coffee and small talk before jumping into the first day of spring preparations.  Mimi’s husband Bob had always insisted that it was the only civilized way to start a day of physical labor and I tended to agree.  We discussed the Indians, the Master’s, the movie ‘Argo’ and many other things over the next forty minutes, but finally I knew it was time to begin. 

“I’m going to start with the pressure sprayer.  I’ll get wet and it’ll be messy, so I want to do that first,” I said.

It was supposed to have been sunny and in the 60’s, but the weather had not bothered to check with the weather reporters.  It was closer to 35 and overcast…perfect conditions for working with water and having wet clothes and feet.  Mimi suggested I wait, and as much sense as that made, I was determined to plow forward.  I took the furniture from the deck and started it up.

For the next two hours, I pounded the mold-covered deck wood with 1,200 pounds of pressure.  I have to admit that I love pressure-spraying things clean…and her deck was no exception.  I could see the dirt and mold washing away as I moved the hose back and forth in front of me.  When I finally finished, I tackled a cement dog statue in the back yard and an iron table base that needed to be repainted.  I could have gone merrily along pressure-spraying any one of a number of things around the yard, but knew that I had other chores that needed to be done, so I finally shut it down and loaded it back in the Jeep to return to Dan.  I’d also taken her old, heavy propane grill apart and shoved that in the Jeep, as well.  The cabinet was stainless steel and Dan had a scrap guy that would haul it away and make a few dollars.  Mimi’s guy was going to charge her to pick it up, so win-win.

I spent the afternoon raking and gathering sticks by the thousands from the front yard.  When I called it quits a little after three to drive the sprayer and grill out to Dan’s, I was pretty whipped.  I called Holly from Dan’s though, and met her in the park for a 75-minute hike on the way home.  No matter how tired I am, there’s always enough in the tank to walk over those beautiful trails.

I finished the evening with an old friend and a deep fried turkey.  Henry had invited me over for conversation and food…and he’s an outstanding cook.  I ate a pound or two of turkey while we watched one of my favorite movies, ‘The Last of the Mohicans’.  It is filmed in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina and Chimney Rock National Park, which reminds me so much of the Adirondacks (the actual location for the book setting) that I want to start packing my gear every time I watch.  I ate well…I did plenty of work though I didn’t exercise…and I think I came out about even on calories in-calories out.

Yard work duration:  6 hours.  Hike duration:  75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  80 on yard work and hiking.
Calories burned during workout:  1800 on yard work and 400 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment