Sunday, April 14, 2013

Back at it...


Thursday, April 11, 2013
With my neck finally starting to feel better and Dakota acting perky after finishing out her prescription, we headed for the park and a hard Survival Workout.  I started as I usually do, but when I went to add a sprint before entering the woods, my abdominal muscles rebelled and I left it alone.
I did do some high knees and I normally do 30 on each leg, but as I completed my 29th, I felt a stabbing pain in my right calf and backed off that, too.  I was determined to make it a tough workout though, and so added in a couple of rock rowing stations with about 60 pounds of stacked rocks.  As I was moving across my field to the pavilion for a drink of water, I noticed three reasonably fit guys jogging in the other direction and heading straight for the backstop to the baseball diamond.  Without pausing, they all launched themselves at the stockade construction, climbed and swung over the top dropping quickly to the ground on the other side.  I decided to follow them and wasn’t surprised when, instead of walking across Clear Creek on the rocks, chose instead to run through the deepest part of the stream.  My guess is they were preparing for a Tough Mudder and trying out some Survival Workout moves as they jogged through the woods.
I continued my workout and by the time I’d returned to the car, had completed 22 different sets.  I was quite tired and Dakota was dragging as well.  Neither of us is 100%, but we both like to come to the woods to work out our demons.
When I returned home, I quickly changed into my riding shorts and climbed on the trainer for a 50-minute ride.  It’s been some time since I’ve done a double and I felt it as I finished up.  I’m a long way from the kind of shape I should be in for my annual birthday triathlon, but I think I have some reasonable excuses.  Regardless, I’m planning on toning it down this year though I don’t know what I’ll be doing quite yet.  What’s the rush…I’ve got a week.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.  Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm for  SW and 120 bpm on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  600 for SW and 850 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment