Sunday, April 14, 2013

One sick workout buddy...


Friday, April 12, 2013
Dakota was sick again when I got up Friday morning and was reluctant to leave her cage.  I went to work but received a call later from Holly that she wasn’t looking so good.  When I got home, I found her panting heavily and looking very lethargic.  I called the vet and scheduled an immediate visit.
Her temperature was 105, which shocked me until I learned that dogs run around 101 normally.  Still, she didn’t look good and they took her back for x-rays.  I told the doc how she’d been pulling toilet paper rolls off their holders and trying to eat them and when the x-rays came back, he said he thought he could see something in her intestines that just wasn’t passing and causing a large gas buildup.  He thought she should stay overnight so they could again re-hydrate her and see if she’d eat in the morning and what she might pass.  He thought is was possible she’d eaten some dead animal and wasn’t passing it.  He talked about the possibility of surgery to take it out…and he didn’t make it sound very positive.  I left depressed about my workout buddy.
Holly and I went up to Heinens to do some dinner shopping.  We returned and she went into the kitchen to prepare a salmon and rice dinner.  I climbed on the trainer thinking I’d have at least an hour to get in a ride.  I was drenched and really into it when she called from the kitchen that dinner was a bout ready.  I checked my watch.  Forty-six minutes…damn.
I have learned that I should not try to stretch workouts when I’ve been called for dinner and as much as I wanted an even number, like 50, I stopped immediately and headed for the shower.  We tuned in the new version of the movie ‘Footloose’ to watch with dinner.  The original version had starred Kevin Bacon as the young, big city northern boy who moves to a hick southern town where dancing is not allowed.  He rebels of course, and to the consternation of the minister of the local church, starts a dance for the school prom.
In the newer version, an aging Dennis Quaid plays the minister and he does a respectable job, but I was thinking that they should have gotten Kevin Bacon to play that part.  Would have been a nice segue…but no one asked me.  Anyways, the movie pretty much stayed true to the original and featured a whole high school full of kids that had dance moves to rival John Travolta in ‘Saturday Night Fever’…pretty realistic.

Bike duration:  46 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  650.

No comments:

Post a Comment