Friday, April 26, 2013

The funeral...


Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Today was all about family and honoring Holly’s mom.  We met at the church early and had a reception hour before going in for the service.  I was honored to give the eulogy and hope that I did justice to my mother-in-law.  She had specifically requested that I do the eulogy in the notes she left outlining her service preferences.  When I returned to the pew after delivering it, Jack leaned into me and told me I had done a good job.
“Were you nervous up there?” he whispered.
“Yeah, I was.  I wanted it to be special,” I said.
“Well you sure didn’t seem nervous.  I don’t think I could ever do that,” he said.
“I couldn’t have done it when I was 18, either.  But someday I’m hoping you’ll get up there and say some really nice things about me.  Like in a really long time, though,” I said.
We had food afterwards and I ate a sandwich and salad.  That night, John stopped over and I heated up more of the lasagna stuff we’d had the other night.  He brought a half-eaten tray of cookies from Heinen’s that should have been intact.  We worked on those for awhile after dinner with Holly’s dad and just sat around and talked about things that made us happy for a couple of hours.
I was spent by the day’s end.  No amount of exercise exhausts me like the emotional wringer I’d gone through that day.  I probably would have benefited from a good workout, but I’ve got the rest of my life for that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment