Thursday, April 4, 2013

"Don't they speak British on that show?"

Monday, April 1, 2013
Dakota had been throwing up and not eating for two days and since I think exercise fixes everything for me, decided a hike in the park was what ailed her.  We trekked for ninety minutes and she seemed herself; constantly grabbing sticks that were too big to throw but just right for ramming into the back of my legs as I was climbing up some particularly slippery incline.  We returned to the car and I drove to Mimi’s for a short visit with her son and granddaughter who delighted in throwing sticks for Dakota to chase.  I really began to worry about her when she’d take breaks from the chasing to lie down, something she’d never do if she was feeling okay.  I took her home and filled her bowl with food, but she ignored it.

I received a text from Savannah which simply stated ‘Yay Indians’.  It was Opening Day for the Tribe and they were playing in Toronto and facing last year’s Cy Young Award pitcher, R.A. Dickey.  I love listening to baseball on the radio and her text reminded me to tune it in.  It was then that Jack came into the family room and asked if I minded if he turned on the TV and watched an episode of ‘The Office’.  It is our favorite comedy and based on an absolute lunatic office manager played by Steve Carell.  The original sit-com starring Ricky Gervais, was produced and aired on the BBC and was a smashing success before coming to America.  In the particular episode we were watching, Ricky Gervais made a guest appearance and I commented that we should watch the British version, which was available on Netflix.

“We could…but do they have subtitles?” he asked.

“Sub…wait…what?”

“Well…don’t they speak British in it?” he wanted to know.

I looked at him to determine if he was serious.  He seemed to be.  “Jack…seriously…’do they speak British?’” I said.

“Isn’t that a language…” he said, trailing off as his brain finally began to kick in. 

He began to laugh at himself since I was falling off the sofa holding my stomach.  He admitted that he probably knew British was English, but his mouth tends to get ahead of his brain.  It’s really too bad the series finally ended after a nine-year run.  A character based on the life and times of Jack could have made an excellent addition.

Hike duration:  90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  80 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 450.

No comments:

Post a Comment