Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A long ride and some rugby...

Saturday, March 30, 2013

It was a perfect March day for riding with temperatures near 50 and sunny, blue skies overhead.  I started riding with the intention of going over two hours and was twenty minutes out and cruising through the park when I remembered Jason was playing rugby and that I’d said I would watch.  I thought I could ride, shower and get there for the end of the match, but only if I cut the ride short.  I was only 5 minutes from the rugby field, so I turned and headed that way.

I found Jason working the sidelines as I rode my bike up on the field.  He told me he wouldn’t be playing until the second game, which wouldn’t start for another hour, so I had my ticket to continue my ride.  I rode another hour plus before returning to the field and then watched him bang heads for awhile before mounting the bike again and finishing the ride home.  I was noticing some pain in my right calf from the run I’d done two days ago and the hill climbing hadn’t made it any better.  It continued in earnest over the final miles and got me to thinking about my birthday triathlon and the wisdom of trying to force myself to be ready for a 58-minute run in three weeks.  Well…there simply wasn’t any wisdom to it.  I’m not saying I’m giving that up just yet, but I’m using the logical part of my brain for once.  I’ve got a busy summer ahead and don’t want to be crippled for the several weeks leading into it.

Bike duration:  Two hours and 15 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1900.

No comments:

Post a Comment