Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reaching new heights with the help of a positive attitude...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I returned to the park to do a Survival Workout, but left a weakened Dakota at home.  It had been three days since my last one, but for some reason I knew it was going to go well.  I tend to rise and fall in my attitude regarding exercise, as everyone does, and know that this attitude has a large impact on performance.  I hooked my feet on the rail of the gate on the side of the road and began doing my push-ups. 

Sixty seconds later I was approaching 90 and wondering if I could break my pr.  When I passed 100 with something still in the tank, I was ecstatic.  I pushed through to 105 before doing a nose dive into the mud, but I’d broken my previous record by 4 and now knew nothing else would matter that day.  I smiled as I moved down the field to my next station, picking up six golf balls as I went.  I was tired from the initial effort with the push-ups, but kept pushing myself.  I knew my 4-set record for push-ups was 310 and that gave me something else to shoot for that day.  When I reached my final set needing another 70 push-ups for the record and feeling the exhaustion from having done 20 sets of exercises already, I didn’t really think I could make it.  As I approached 60, I knew it was within reach and was very satisfied as I past 70, finally collapsing at 75 and a new 4-set total of 315.

The birthday is two days away and there is no triathlon on the horizon.  I’m hoping to spend some quality time with Holly in the morning and maybe take a 58-mile bike ride and do some kayaking and a Survival Workout in the afternoon.  Running has been shelved for now…my body is telling me it’s not on the agenda. 

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment