Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Batting cages and putt-putt...

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Holly and I had been meaning to get to Columbus to see Savannah and the fact that her tags were expiring on the Jeep and I had them provided the excuse we needed.  We drove down and picked her and Kyle up for breakfast at 10:30 a.m. – college student breakfast time.

We were looking for something to do for the afternoon and decided to drive to the new Cabella’s, one of the great hunting, fishing and camping outfitters in the country, for some shopping.  I got lost quickly in the camping section while the ladies decided they needed time shopping at the mall across the street.  I always think I need some new and improved gear, typically something lighter weight to lessen my load when backpacking, but I’ve found that no matter what I do, I seem to end up with fifty pounds on my back. 

We drove to a putt-putt/batting cage establishment from Cabella’s where Savannah knocked down 3 holes-in-one and swung a mean bat in the batting cage.  Holly, on the other hand, seemed to struggle with her hitting, likely because her shoes had 2” heels and the pitching machine was throwing everything up around her eyeballs.  She and Savannah took 42 swings apiece, doing little damage to the balls as they passed by.  I took pictures so as not to embarrass myself.

We went to Appleby’s for a late lunch and then drove home, arriving back after 9 p.m. and beyond the time I cared to begin a workout.

As I draw nearer celebrating 58 years on the planet, I know I’m not in the shape I was a year ago at this time.  I’m not in bad shape, but the combination of bad weather and a string of nagging injuries have kept me from my normally strict regimen.  I have no concerns, though.  I’m locked in and anxious to be doing something…and that just doesn’t change.  I know it’s that attitude that keeps me on-track and the one thing no one can do for anyone else…it just happens because you make it a priority long enough that it becomes part of who you are.  It takes awhile, but it is a goal worth striving for.  I already know that I’ll be taking tomorrow off, too, since John is taking me to the Indians home opener, allowing little time to squeeze in a workout.  I’ll get back on track Tuesday, more anxious than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment