Monday, April 22, 2013

Horrible service at Burgers-n-Beer...

Saturday, April 20, 2013
I went to Mimi’s in the morning, driving through a flash snowstorm…in late April.  One year ago, I’d ridden hundreds of miles by this date since the weather had been more summer-like for most of March and April.  I was falling behind on getting things ready at her house though, so I drove on. 

Six hour later, I was back home having passed up a workout in the park to do some of the same yard work I’d done for Mimi for myself.  Two hours later, I was really beginning to feel the effects of having worked outside most of the day.  I went in to shower so that we could join my sister and brother-in-law for his birthday celebration at Burgers-n-Beer in downtown Willoughby.

Downtown Willoughby is now the ‘in’ place for going out on a Saturday night.  Growing up in this small community, I’d have never guessed it would end up as such.  We had reservations for 7:30, but it took another 20 minutes to finally get seated.  And that’s when the wheels came off.  I’ve spent a decent portion of my working life in the food and customer service industry and I know bad service when I see it.  What we received that night was the worst I’ve ever had.  What astounded me was that, with the restaurant in total disarray, the owner of the establishment was sitting calmly at a table with another couple, oblivious to what was happening around him.  It took us 10 minutes to be acknowledged by our waitress, 20 minutes to get some water, a coke and a beer (8 people) and an explanation that we couldn’t have a drink and water because there weren’t enough clean glasses.  It was 20 more minutes before our food order was taken (why she didn’t do it when she dropped of the drinks is a mystery) and 45-50 before our burgers and fries were served.  The fries had obviously come up first and had been sitting; they were cold and inedible and I sent them back.  It got worse from there and I won’t go into all the details, but I finally railed when, after waiting another 20 minutes to get a check, found an automatic 20% tip added to the bill.  I told the waitress and later the owner I’d never poorer or slower service and I wouldn’t pay a tip for that.  I did tell him I’d eaten the food and would pay for it, regardless. 

“What can I do for you?” he asked.

“Nothing really.  I must tell you though, you should have tried and I’ll never be back…it was that bad,” I said.

So…no formal exercise but plenty of activity.  Heidi will be home tomorrow and she said she’d like to go kayaking, which works for me.  I’ve been anxious to get out and check the next for eaglets and the weather forecast is good.

Yard work duration:  Six hours.
Calories burned during work: 1500.

No comments:

Post a Comment