Thursday, April 25, 2013

Squatting Savannah...

Monday, April 22, 2013

Jack has been working out consistently for close to a year now and what a difference.  He has probably put on 40 pounds of muscle in that time and his confidence and self-image has increased proportionately.  He seems to like to pick people up now and his sister, home from Ohio State for her grandmother’s funeral, was his latest victim.

“Jack…be careful!  Don’t drop me,” Savannah called from the stairway. 

I looked up from the family room to see Jack carrying her down the stairs while pretending he was going to drop her to the landing below.  He carried like she weighed no more than a laundry basket and about as carelessly.  When he reached the kitchen, he put her on her feet only to scoop her up again in a fireman’s carry over his shoulders.

“Dad…look at my new squat workout,” he said as he performed deep squats with her dangling on his shoulders.  He did this about 15 times, then held her as I ran to get the camera.

“Hurry up dad, I’m starting to get tired,” he called as I returned.  Savannah was still laughing as he performed two more reps for the photo op before finally setting her down.

I’ve done some fireman’s carries with workout partners during the Survival Workout and know the value of having a moving, wiggling weight on your shoulders as you try to walk.  The core muscles have to come into play to maintain balance while the large muscles of the lower body bear the weight.  Jack said it was the best set of squats he’d ever done even though he used much more weight at the gym.

“Those weights don’t move,” he acknowledged, though I don’t think Savannah was willing to become he regular workout partner.

I went through a rigorous Survival Workout earlier in the day and for the first time in awhile, seem to be almost pain-free.  I know my routine over the next two days will be unusual as we prepare for the funeral, so I will just have to adapt and see what I can fit in.  I know I’ll be eating poorly as food continues to pour in.  I can’t let it go to waste and I can work it off later.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment