Saturday, March 30, 2013

A decent run...


Thursday, March 28, 2013
I began training for the birthday triathlon today by doing the longest run I’ve done in several months.  I started jogging thinking about how many days I had until I’d have to be ready and realized its only about 21.  Since my last run was over three weeks ago and only 25 minutes, I had my work cut out if I was to be ready to go 58 minutes in three weeks.  I calculated as I ran, thinking I’d need to add 5 minutes to each run for seven runs if I was going to make it.  That would allow me to take two days off between runs, the recovery I’d likely need if I was to stay healthy.

I ran along a muddy bridle trail to Squires Castle, taking a loop across River Road and behind the sledding hill to add to the distance.  I reached my half-way point in around 17 minutes, which meant either I’d be stopping and walking the last half mile to the car, or I’d be near 35 minutes of running when I was done.  I decided that although it would be foolish to run 35 minutes on so little training, that I was in good enough shape to give it a try.  I could always stop if something hurt.

Nothing did until I reach the car at minute 34 with every intention of passing the vehicle to add in another 60 seconds.  I felt a little tweak in my right calf as I crossed the road and stopped immediately.  I’d already pushed it too far and for once seemed to be listening to what my body was telling me, which was ‘stop!’

Holly met me shortly after I’d finished the run so we could take a hike.  It was a very good thing since I normally tighten up pretty severely when driving home right after a run.  We hiked for an hour and I felt much looser when I climbed into the car at the conclusion.

I drove home with some pain in the lower, right abdominal wall…a common occurrence for me when running distances in an untrained state.  I could live with that, though.  I went home and heated up two chicken pot pies for dinner; a disgustingly fatty, but tasty meal.  I now know I can make the 58 minutes, though I may take an extra day off to recover and try pushing it to 40 the next time out.  What I also need to do is get the kayak in the water and hope for some decent weather for long ride this weekend.  Saturday looks promising with temperatures heading for fifty.

Run duration:  34 minutes.  Hike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 bpm running and 75 hiking.
Calories burned:  575 running and 350 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment