Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Jackie takes his driving test...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013
It was a big day in the Rolf family.  Little Jackie Boy and I were heading for the License Bureau so he could take his driving test. 

We’d gone a couple of days earlier to secure a time and had spent some time watching other new drivers trying…and failing…to pass the maneuverability test.  Jack had been practicing through our makeshift cone set-up at Millridge School, but here were the official cones and although there were signs posted that said we weren’t allowed to practice parking (we were maneuvering…not parking), it seemed rather ridiculous to me.  Seriously, why wouldn’t the state want drivers to practice more maneuverability on cones that couldn’t be dented?  I told Jack I imagined it was because some people would knock them over and be too lazy to put them back, but I’m sure there is some other, more official reason…that’ stupid.  Anyway, since no one was waiting and there was no ‘official’ outside, I told him to try and go through. 

“Are you sure?  What if we get caught and then they hold it against me when I come back to take MY test?” he asked.

I’m happy that he’s not the rule breaker his dad is, but I’m working on it.  “Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission I always say,” I said in response.

He was half-way through when the officer appeared through a door from the Bureau.  He looked at us, pointed to the sign that disallowed our criminal activity with his official clipboard, and looked away…too quickly to see me flipping him off.  Jack was mortified and pulled away with concern showing on his face.

“It’s no big deal, Jack.  We’ll never see him again and besides, you’re going to nail it because you’ve been practicing and you’ve had me to teach you for the last six months.  What a killer combination,” I said.  It didn’t seem to comfort him.

Anyway, we were sitting outside the Bureau waiting for Jack to take his test when the same officer emerged from the building. He looked a little concerned, but I told him to ‘see’ the Jeep going through the cones and not touching anything as we tapped fists and I exited the vehicle.  I really was confident that he’d pass, but I left the area so he wouldn’t be more nervous by me watching.

Ten minutes later, he was pulling up outside the building.  The officer exited the Jeep and gave me the ‘thumbs up’ signal.  Jack was beaming as I climbed in.

“I thought I’d failed.  I stopped in the middle of the maneuverability and I think I bumped a cone.  Then he told me to pull out to start the driving part of the test and I hadn’t gone through the cones both ways,” he said.

“You only have to go to one side though you don’t know which one they’re going to pick.  Too bad he just didn’t tell you you’d passed so you could stop thinking about it and concentrate on the driving part.  Think that’s what I’d do if I was an instructor,” I said.

He was very happy and agreed that we needed to go to Fisher’s Tavern and get a big, juicy burger.  He asked me if a half-pounder was a big burger and when I assured him it was, he ordered it along with fries and onion rings.  You really can’t get too much of good, greasy food when you’ve passed your driver’s test.  I went with a burger and fries as well, hoping that my stomach wouldn’t rebel.  It had been hurting off and on throughout the day and food didn’t seem to make a difference. 

Around nine I suited up for a ride on the trainer.  My stomach had been getting worse throughout the evening and I thought maybe a ride could improve things. Duh.  I was almost on the bike when I decided it was a foolish move and returned to my room where I instead picked up a book to read while laying down.  I need to find a stomach doctor, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment