Monday, March 18, 2013

"That's Pale-e-o Diet..."

Saturday, September 16, 2013
I had trouble sleeping as the stomach pains I’d suffered in late November returned.  I got up in the morning and downed a large serving of Kefir…something I have not been doing consistently.  An hour later, the stomach pain was gone and I was again thinking it was some kind of miracle food.

I rode the trainer for an hour and then went to work on the Jeeps.  Savannah’s needed a new battery and some oil.  I drove it to the auto parts store, put in the battery and drove home to add the oil.  When I pulled the hood release, I could tell it hadn’t released.  After several attempts to help it along both inside and by banging on the hood, I called Dan and scheduled a visit.

I arrived at his place an hour later and we spent the next hour trying to get it to release, but with no luck.

“You’re screwed.  I think we’re going to have to cut it open,” he said.

And that’s not good.  I did have the other Jeep at home and we agreed that I should go take pictures of the release mechanisms under the hood and that it might help him figure out another approach.

I returned home from Dan’s with just enough time to stop by my neighbor’s for their St. Patrick’s Day dinner.  I tried the Sheppard’s Pie and had some corned beef before hopping in the car to go to my brother’s for dinner.  My stomach was beginning to churn a little and I was starting to think the Kefir hadn’t had a chance to do its thing yet.  During the dinner, I called my Uncle Bill in Florida to solve a discussion I was having with my brother about where they had lived.  I knew his memory sucked, but I wanted to confirm it with them.  When I reached my Aunt, she asked me to speak to someone with them about the Paleo Diet. 

“I’m on the Pal-e-o Diet,” she said, pronouncing it like when someone is your pal…you know…you’re good buddy.  I tried to help her with the pronunciation before going any further.

“That’s pale-e-o not pal-e-o,” I said.

“Oh…weah from the south and we say it different,” she said.

“You’re from the south and you say it different…and you say it wrong,” I said.

We talked about my 80/20 principle of eating Paleo, noting that I found breakfast the hardest part to do since I was a life-long cereal person in the morning.  I never did get to speak to Uncle Bill, though my Aunt confirmed my memory of the houses they’d lived in.  Jeff’s my little brother…he’s not supposed to remember things better than me.

By the end of the evening, I was having serious gastric discomfort.  We drove home where I downed another 8 ounces of Kefir before going to bed.  The last bout had lasted months; I was hoping this one would be resolved in a couple of days.

Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment