Monday, March 25, 2013

The times you can cry during 'Rocky'...

Sunday, March 24, 2013

I started the day by going to the Psalm Sunday service at St. Bart’s and then heading to the park with Dakota for a Survival Workout.  My stomach was about 90% and so I decided to just do the lifting and upper body exercises and pass on the running and jumping things.  This left me a little short of being completely fulfilled by my workout and so I returned home to the trainer and some riding.  Though I only went 45 minutes, I was tired.  I suppose the layoff or maybe the continuing issues with my stomach have left me a little drained.  I just didn’t have it and I knew it. 

The family arrived for one of Holly’s specialties…beef stew.  It’s a heavy meal and I’d made a smoothie to take the edge off before eating.  I can consume large quantities of stew, but with my stomach’s condition such as it was, decided one medium-sized helping was one of my better decisions.  I originally passed on the dessert, a chocolate cake covered in Holly’s famous pudding/whipped cream/peanut butter frosting, but that didn’t last.  I was sitting at the table and it was in front of me and the frosting just kept ending up on my finger.  I caved, got a plate and cut a piece the size of my head. It was wonderful and my stomach was feeling pretty good.

When everyone had left, including Holly going to spend the night in Akron with Heidi, I decided to watch ‘The Godfather II’ for the fifth or sixth time.  I don’t think you CAN see it too often.  While I was watching, my nephew called to discuss an important point of clarification regarding ‘Rocky’.

“Uncle John…I have you on speaker phone so Heather (his wife) can hear you.  She was crying when Adrian went into her coma and I was trying to explain that there are only two appropriate times for crying in all the Rocky movies,” he explained.

“Okay…I’m here for you.  What are the two times you told her?”
“Well…as everyone knows…one is when Mick dies and the other is when he beats Ivan Drago…that one for being so ‘merican’ and patriotic and stuff,” he said.

I had to agree entirely and added another.  “Heather…Jon’s right ‘cause he is and he’s a guy.  But it’s also okay to get misty-eyed when Adrian comes OUT of the coma…and not because she came out of it ‘cause we knew she would, but because when she does and she says to Rocky she wants him to do her a favor and he says what and she says ‘win!’  Well…then Mick shouts ‘whatta we waitin’ for?’ and Rock has that look in his eye and the bell starts ringing…well…you just have to get pumped and you KNOW he’s gonna win and all…so that’s the only other okay time,” I explained.

I think she got it and I know Jonathon got it.  It made me feel good that I could weigh in on such an important topic and that I am recognized for my mind sometimes and not just my body.  People can learn good stuff from me.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.  Bike duration:  45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm for SW and 120 bpm on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  600 for SW and 625 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment