Thursday, March 7, 2013

My first run in...forever.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013
The lower ab/groin pain had been gradually subsiding, though I knew it wasn’t gone.  Still, I wanted to start some running again so I went to the park with the intention of putting in a slow jog of maybe 30 minutes.  Once I got there and started down the trail though, it gave me some time to think about what I was doing.  I hadn’t run in over a month and here I was thinking that running 30 minutes the first day back was somehow a good idea.  That’s like having the pitchers come to spring training and throw a nine innings in their first outing.  They typically throw one.

I turned around after12 minutes deciding instead I’d run 25.  As I approached my 20th minute though, I felt a twinge in my left calf and it suddenly became clear to me why I’d stopped.  I’d been thinking it was the groin soreness, but I’d gotten that a couple of weeks ago when I’d over done the Survival Workout.  I’d stopped running over a month ago when I’d suddenly felt the calf pop shortly into a run.  Normally when coming back from that injury, I’d start with a ten-minute effort.  So much for having a memory…or a brain, for that matter.

I finished the run without incident.  For the rest of the evening though, I could feel the soreness in the lower abs reminding me they were sore and I was stupid.  I’ve said this before but it bears repeating…if I was going to wait until I didn’t have any aches to do a workout, I’d be a vegetable.  It’s not going to happen and I embrace the soreness.  I’m old…but I’m alive and moving.  I think I’ll just keep it that way.

Run duration:  25 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 bpm.
Calories burned:  425.

No comments:

Post a Comment