Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Are we having turkey with the turkey dinner?"

Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Savannah is home for spring break and she continues to enjoy the Survival Workout…and I enjoy doing it with her.  We met at the park and began the workout doing push-ups in the mud.  Maybe her presence inspired me, but I managed to knock out 90…my highest total since finally cracking 100 a month ago.  The trail was sloppy and it was near freezing, but at least none of the rocks were frozen to the ground.  We were limited on time because she needed to go to her grandfather’s for dinner, which means that we’d do the same amount of exercises in less time…or putting it another way…we’d work harder.

I like the intensity of the shorter, harder workout and it is a better conditioner, but it leaves me more exhausted by the end.  Still, I feel like I’ve done as much and more, even though it can take 15 minutes less to complete.  Since the intensity per minute is greater, the total amount of calories burned remains about the same.  Jack was supposed to have joined us, but cancelled at the last moment, which had us talking about him and comparing ‘Jack’ moments.

“You know that turkey dinner mom made before leaving for Hawaii?  Well…I reminded Jack we were having it that night as I dropped him off at school.  So he comes home later and can smell it cooking and asks mom ‘are you making turkey to go with the turkey dinner?’” I explained. 

Savannah looked at me like she’d missed something.  “…and she says, ‘Jack…what kind of meat do you think I’d cook with a turkey dinner?’ and he says ‘sometimes you make chicken with it,’ and she says, ‘well…that would make it a chicken dinner, then.’”

She had nothing to top it and we finished the workout muddy and tired.  I went home and made a smoothie for dinner.  I felt good about it because I think I’m over the plateau I’d hit and though they really don’t matter, I still want to see improvement and set new pr’s.  They’re coming.

Survival Workout:  50 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment