Thursday, March 21, 2013

The answer is, "they do it in the woods"...

Wednesday, March 20, 2013
I had a plan that I thought was a good one.  I was driving to Achilles Running Shop to get the information I needed to write about a couple of their shoes for the OhioActive ‘gear’ section in our first publication.  I was then going to drive to the Metropark and do a tough Survival Workout and then return home for some time on the trainer.  I wasn’t feeling 100%, but I wanted to exercise my way through the continuing stomach pain. 

And then Holly called and said she’d like to meet me in the park and go for a hike. 

I really like hiking and talking to her so I dropped everything else and drove home to meet her and grab Dakota.  We got down to the park, which was muddy, just as a very gentle snow began to fall.  We walked the trails for an hour, climbed one big hill and walked through Squires Castle over the next hour.  It was blustery and Holly was getting cold as we walked the final steps to the car.  I was happy for the change of plans because my stomach had been sore the entire hike and I don’t know how well I’d have interviewed with that distraction. 
 
I dropped Holly back at home and drove from there to the hospital to visit my next-door-neighbor who had two broken bones in her arm and leg, which had occurred when she was attempting to bring a suitcase down from her attic on those drop-down steps so popular for attic access.  As I walked into the hospital, it occurred to me that maybe I should just go to the emergency room and tell them I was having stomach and chest pains and get the thing looked at and maybe resolved.  But I noticed it was no longer hurting as I made my way through the parking lot and continued to feel fine for the remainder of the evening.

Maybe the Kefir is kicking in.  Maybe it’s just a lull in the storm.  Maybe I’m pig-headed about seeing doctors and taking medicine…and maybe bears shit in the woods.

Hike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  350.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you need to take medicine. I bet it's gluten GLUTEN IS THE DEVIL, it sits in your intestines and causes inflammation that won't go away from just not having it for a day or two. You should talk to Mr. DeRubertis about a holistic doctor I bet he'd have good advice that wouldn't necessarily mean medicine. Maybe since I'm saying something to this effect twice you'll listen, I know I'm younger but I'm smart! ALso I talk to Mackenzie who is in med school and knows science.

    ReplyDelete