Thursday, March 28, 2013

Birthday bash around the corner...

Wednesday, March 27, 2013
As I finished a birthday text to my sister, it occurred to me that my own birthday was four weeks away and I hadn’t been giving any thought to my birthday triathlon.  For the past several years, I’ve challenged myself to perform rides, runs, and kayaks using some measure of distance or time based on the age I was celebrating.  This year I should be riding 58 miles, running 58 minutes, kayaking 5.8 miles and doing the Survival Workout with 58’s all over it.  And no…that wouldn’t be a tri-athlon, but a quadathlon. It also means that whatever day I pick to do this event will mean bad weather.  I’m behind on my training overall because of the weather this spring.  A year ago, it was 79 degrees on the first day of spring and stayed warm up to the point I chose to do the triathlon.  It snowed that day.  This year I’m way behind in running and riding and I haven’t had the kayak out once.  If I’m to do this in a little over three weeks, I’ve got some serious training to do.

So I started with a good Survival Workout that included 20 stations.  I drove home feeling pumped and tired and hopped on the trainer for a one-hour ride.  It was a good double and I think that if I can get the running going again, I can handle the birthday battering.  Tomorrow I’ll try 30 minutes of running and see where it leaves me.  I feel like I can push myself to do most anything…it’s the fallout over the next several days that concerns me.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.  Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm for  SW and 120 bpm on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  600 for SW and 850 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment