Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Heavy training just around the corner...

Monday, March 18, 2013
Three days until spring and it’s light out until almost eight.  Long riding days after work are just around the corner and I can’t wait.  I beginning to really get charged up over the challenge of preparing for ‘Tour Ohio’, which needs to begin in earnest as soon as the weather permits.  Though I’m in decent shape following a reasonably harsh winter, there is no substitute for time in the saddle and on the water…and that will also mean long, long days for each.  Specifically, I will have to build my kayak time up to long days of maybe 6-8 hours and do that in the chop of Lake Erie’s waves if I hope to be prepared for my 120-mile journey along the shore of the North coast.  Biking is the same.  I should take some century rides on back to back days and with sleeping on the ground in between.  I’ll have to go on all day hiking treks, as well.  These are unusual events and there is no way to prepare for them except to do them.  And as crazy and painful as they sound, I have always enjoyed the challenge of doing quite difficult physical things…the longer the better.

But for now, things stay on hold.  I spent another evening cramped up with stomach pain.  It wasn’t quite as bad as the night before and didn’t come on until nearly 8 p.m., which was about the time that I was headed for the trainer.  I landed on the couch instead and was in bed by 10 p.m. after two doses of Kefir.  I’ll give it a couple of more days and if the Kefir doesn’t make it subside, I suppose I’ll have to find a stomach doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment