Monday, March 25, 2013

Running shoes...

Thursday, March 21, 2013

I drove to The Achilles Running Shop in Mentor after work to interview the store manager about two pairs of running shoes.  We’re doing a ‘gear’ review in each edition of OhioActive and different shoes will likely be a regular feature.  It’s hard to participate in any outdoor activity and not find there is a specialty shoe designed specifically for that activity.  I’m a bit of a minimalist and throw back person, thinking US Keds canvas hightops were the best shoe ever invented, but I’m lonely in this view.  And having said that, I know the importance of finding the right hiking shoe for treks in the Adirondacks, particularly when you’re on steep and slippery surfaces.

I had David pick out a racing shoe for the marathon and a shoe that epitomized a minimalist or what the shoe companies are now referring to as a ‘natural running’ shoe.  I picked the marathon shoe because we’re doing our feature story on a runner competing in the Rite Aid Marathon who has lost 150 pounds over the last few years and know the importance of the right shoe when running great distances.  I wanted to throw a minimalist shoe in there because so many runners are exploring this landscape and it is one full of mines.  The shoe David showed me is mid-level minimal in that he has some sole and protection for the traditional heel/toe runner and acts more as a transitional shoe to those thinking about ‘barefoot’ running.  Rather than bore you with more facts here, I’ll link you to the site when the first publication comes out in May.

My stomach continued to bother me and since the interview had me out late, I decided against a workout once more.  I must admit that other than my stomach, I am pain-free right now.  There is something to be said for forced layoffs and the healing of minor aches and pains, though I’d rather have them right now in exchange for no stomach pain.

1 comment:

  1. Why am I hearing about a layoff in a blog hmm? You are not alone in your views about that shoe pictured, lots of hipsters like them.

    ReplyDelete