Thursday, March 7, 2013

Making kiniflies...

Sunday, March 3, 2013
With Holly in Hawaii, I decided that family dinner should go on, but that maybe it was time for me to learn how to make kiniflies.  Kiniflies are a German spaetzle noodles (eggs and flour) covered with fried bread crumbs and onions and slathered in catsup.  I’ve been enjoying them since I first met Holly…it’s a family recipe…and everyone we’ve ever served them to loves them.  My father-in-law is the originator from my perspective and he had agreed to teach me.  He came over early and showed me how.  I’ve watched Holly make them many times, so I had an idea.  There is no measuring though, it’s all a ‘feel’ thing.  Once he had the dough ready, he cut them into boiling, salted water and let them cook for ten minutes.  It really was pretty easy and I know my cousin in upstate New York will be bugging me to make them on my next trip to the Adirondacks.

After dinner, I hopped on the trainer for another episode of  ‘The West Wing’ and sixty minutes of sweat.  I’m so happy that I don’t have to put UB Express on the trainer because I really rust through bikes, especially indoors.  It is the only downside to trainers for cyclists and it really pays to cover them to keep sweat from getting on the frame and components.  I’ve got the old Univega permanently affixed to the trainer saving me time taking an outdoor bike on and off.  At some point, it will simply collapse when the rust finally goes beyond what my weight can bear…not something I’m looking forward to.  Until then…

Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment