Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A long hike...

Sunday, August 11, 2013
I should have been kayaking all day, but those plans had been scuttled.  Instead, I thought I’d take a long hike with a pack and then maybe follow it with a bike ride.  I loaded my backpack with my overnight camping gear, about 20 pounds, which I’d be carrying during the hike portion of Tour Ohio and headed for the North Chagrin Reservation with the intent of hiking the entire perimeter of the park. 

I started strong, not even noticing the weight of the pack, which was significantly lighter than what I was used to carrying in the Adirondacks.  The temperature was reasonable and as I hiked, I felt like I could do this all day long with little trouble.  I imagined hiking the width of the country on the Pacific Crest Trail, carrying a pack and enjoying the serenity of the deserts and mountains.  Hiking was easy…anything seemed possible. 

Then my feet began to feel like a blister was coming on.  I stopped and switched to a heavier sock I was carrying in my pack.  I continued to feel strong until I hit the three-hour mark.  I’d been walking about 4 mph and so was around 12 miles, but my hip was beginning to trouble me.  Though not significant, I did slow my pace and decided on a brief rest at a pavilion area where I was able to refill my water bottle.  I lay on a picnic bench for ten minutes before continuing my hike, but finding the respite had done nothing to improve my feet or hip. 

I finished the hike of 15 miles in four hours wondering what it would be like to hike another ten in the same day.  I knew I could make adjustments to accommodate my fatigue.  I’d started out walking much faster than I should have and had not taken any breaks for the first three hours.  When hiking the Ohio & Erie Canal Trail, I would be making more frequent stops to speak to people, make notes and take pictures.  My pace consequently would be slower and include rests that would be critical to covering the distances I hoped to do.

Since I’d walked so long and still needed to cut the grass, I was short on time and unable to get in a bike ride.  That and I was really quite tired and didn’t want to ride.  My body is taking a licking, but is still kind of ticking.  I must constantly remind myself not to overdo it so close to my jump off day.  I may not be entirely ready, but slow and steady will get me to the finish line I’m thinking.

Hike duration:  Four hours.
Training Heart Rate:  80-90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1700.

No comments:

Post a Comment