Monday, August 19, 2013

Sweating and cramping on a good double...

Thursday, August 15, 2013
I headed out for a bike ride and noticed early that I was sweating more heavily than usual.  It didn’t feel that warm, but compared to the low 70’s we’ve been experiencing for that last two weeks, it was hot.  The humidity was high as well and combined with little riding over the past two weeks, I found that my quads were cramping after only an hour of riding.  It got progressively worse towards the end of the ride and whenever I was going uphill. 

This is a concern for me.  I know that riding around 100 miles every day for two weeks will likely leave me dehydrated at times.  Cramping will surely follow.  On flat terrain, I can deal with it but in the rolling hills of southern Ohio, I may be in for some very unpleasant days.  I finished the ride and drove to the park where I strapped on a 25-pound pack and hiked for 75 minutes.  Hiking doesn’t seem to cause cramping and it went well though I continued to lose precious fluids. 

I returned home, drank a smoothie and tried to relax.  I could see my legs twitching in about 10 different locations and this continued for the remainder of the evening.  I tried to replace the fluids and had eggs with extra salt sprinkled on top, but it’ll take some time to return to normal.

Hike duration:  75 minutes.  Bike duration:  Two hours and 5 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  85 hiking and 120 bpm on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  450 hiking and 1750 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment