Monday, August 12, 2013

Stupid is as stupid does...

Tuesday, August 6, 2013
I rose early and was in the park with Dakota at dawn.  I’d grabbed my camera knowing the early morning is the best chance to photograph wildlife and often the best time to take great scenery shots with the sun rising and mist often rising off the ground. 

We were nearing the end of the hike and had just come around a sharp bend in the trail when a large, barred owl rose from the trail flopping its wings madly.  Dakota, as started as I, jumped back and barked.  It flew to a branch on twenty feet away and I quickly swung my camera into position for a terrific photo opportunity.  I lined up my shot and depressed the shutter button.  Nothing.
It is very important to remember some simple and basic things when using digital cameras.  They come with a battery that needs recharging.  I never seem to forget this and hadn’t on this occasion either.  What I had forgotten was to take it out of the charger and reinsert it in the camera.  The barred owl stared at me and…giggled.  Stupid photographer.

I returned to the bike shop that evening to check the progress on UB Express.  It was not ready, but the mechanic assured me he’d have it soon.  I returned home knowing I needed a ride and so I pulled Big Red off the hooks for my first ride on it since I’d brought UB home last December.  Every bike has it sizing differences and I needed to make a couple of adjustments as I rode.  I took my Waite Hill course and by the 1-hour mark, was noticing that my butt was particularly sore.  I may have raised the seat too high and was now paying the price.  The second hour did nothing to improve the situation, but I rode on thinking I’d put countless hours in this saddle and it shouldn’t bother me. 

When I finally got off the bike back home, I realized I’d been stupid twice in one day (really not that unusual).  My butt was extremely sore and the pain was again running down my leg.  I should have stopped and adjusted the seat height during the ride and would now pay the price.  Getting older doesn’t always mean getting smarter.

Hike duration:  90 minutes.  Bike duration:  Two hours and 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  85 hiking and 120 bpm on the bike.

Calories burned during workout:  450 hiking and 1750 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment